Saturday, November 24, 2012

Ambition


When I was younger, I dreamed of becoming a doctor, a scientist, or maybe even a veterinarian. I thought I had my life all figured out. But as time went by, I realized that dreams don’t always stay the same — they evolve, just like we do.

Our hopes and ambitions change as we grow older. The things that once excited us may no longer spark the same passion. And that’s okay. Because that’s what growing up really is — learning, unlearning, and rediscovering who you are.

Even now, at almost 20 years old, I still don’t have a clear answer to the question, “What do you want to be?” Sometimes, it makes me anxious. How can I not know by now? But deep down, I’ve come to accept that not knowing is part of the journey.

Recently, in our Proficiency English class, we were asked to choose a profession and act it out. The professions were listed based on our courses, and as I looked at the list, I found myself wondering — do we really have to be confined to what our degree says?

I chose Communication and Media because I wanted to explore something new — something that challenges me. Back in high school, I took Graphic Design, and I loved it. So, why the change? Maybe because I’m still searching for where I truly belong. And that’s not a weakness — it’s courage. The courage to keep exploring until I find what feels right.

People might think I’m lost, but I’m not. I’m learning. I’m growing.

This course has taught me more than just theories and assignments. It has helped me find my voice, to speak confidently, to connect with people. I used to be shy — people even thought I was arrogant. But really, I was just scared to open up. Now, I’m learning to see myself differently.

Still, I sometimes question my path. Maybe it’s because I’m not following the expectations others had for me. Or maybe it’s the fear of failing. But the truth is — we don’t have to fit into anyone’s idea of success.

One thing I’ve discovered is that I love writing. Even if my vocabulary isn’t perfect, my words carry pieces of who I am — and that’s what makes them beautiful. Writing gives me freedom, the same kind of freedom I feel when I imagine traveling the world. Maybe that’s why Public Relations caught my heart: “To travel is better than to arrive.”

Because life isn’t about arriving at one fixed destination.
It’s about exploring the paths in between — the detours, the doubts, the discoveries.

So when someone asks me, “What is your ambition?”
I smile and say, “I’m still figuring it out.”

Because maybe the point isn’t to have one final answer —
but to keep growing, keep learning, and keep dreaming until we find where we truly belong.